Childbirth Preparation and Early Parenting Education Classes
|What:||12 hours of education from a practicing midwife with 20 years of antenatal education experience.|
The Howick Childrens Youth Theatre, 29 Granger Road, Howick, up the hill from Howick Beach, off Selwyn Road Howick. www.HCYT.org.nz This is the old Star of the Sea Convent on the West side of Granger Road.
Wednesday night classes - 5 x 2hour 15 minute sessions from 7.15pm
Linda Boyd (BA SocSci - Nursing Studies)
Ellie Halligan, Registered Midwife from the UK. Works at Middlemore Hospital and Botany Downs Birthing Unit. Worked in parenting education in UK. Has been teaching with Antenatal Ed since June.
|Cost:||$150 for course attendance. Inclusive of your choice of support people.|
What our course covers:
- Explore the journey of childbirth
- Learn how to make confident decisions about your labour and birth
- Understand the role of your lead maternity carer (LMC) and other maternity professionals
- Roles for your support people, eg: Partner, family, friends
- Explore natural birth and active labour including natural pain relief options
- Recognising the signs of labour and preparation for going to hospital
- Gain an understanding about the importance of other options, eg: Epidurals and Caesarean Sections
- Understanding your newborn and their needs and behaviours
- Parenting styles, eg Attachment parenting
- Practical skills for looking after your newborn, eg: Bathing, swaddling, carseats
- Safe sleeping recommendations and cot safety
- Infant feeding choices
- Understanding the demands and realities of early parenting, eg: Managing a crying baby
- Choices for immunisations, vitamin k, blood tests and hearing tests
- Meet other pregnant couples and make great friends. Take the journey together
- Link into other services, coffee groups, and lactation consultants.
- Gain skills required to be a prepared and confident parent.
- Have fun!
For Wednesday classes (7.15pm - 9.30pm) the course lasts for five consecutive Wednesday nights.
For Saturday classes (9am - 3pm) the course lasts for two consecutive Saturdays. There will be a lunch break around midday.
It is important that you plan to have completed the class about four to six weeks before your due date.
|Wednesday Class Start Dates||Saturday Class Start Dates 2019 - 2020|